Smoking after using side stand

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
uncle mark

Re: Smoking after using side stand

Post by uncle mark »

My /5 smokes also if the oil level is up to the full line, I keep it at about 1/8th of an inch down. When I shut down at the end of a ride I keep the bike level, while I pull off my helmet and gloves, letting the cylinder oil drain back to the sump.I always use the side stand and only go to the centerstand for service stuff. I guess I am getting to old to hassle with the centerstand.
hal

Post by hal »

+1 . My /6 smokes on the left, but Ithink it's most often when I've been in a hurry parking. Don't worry about it, normal for these bikes.
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Alright you convinced me, the smoking is not an issue. Good, I didn't want to pull the motor anyhow. I know that would have caused me to do more, like paint the frame, do the wheels and really make it pretty, I really like the original patina look best.
Never have checked the timing. Did the points, new wires, after I rebuilt carbs, it starts at a touch of the button without using choke.
Oil level was down about an 1/8 right at the writing where is says 2 liters, so it's correct.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Jean wrote:Right. Bike should be level to check the oil.
I'm generally too lazy to set the bike on the centerstand. One can check for proper oil level with the bike on the centerstand once. Then, with the bike on the center stand, check it right away to see how it looks on the dipstick. Once you know how to read the dip stick with the bike/side stand, then you're set to go forever. Imagine how many times over the years my lazyboy method saves one from exerting one's self for no reason. :D

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

You aren't so lazy as to post only once.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

justoneoftheguys wrote:I am convinced that if I ever got another airhead, I wouldn't worry about using the centerstand every time I parked.
I would rather put up with a little smoke than have [another] hernia repair. :?

But yeah, if yours is excessive or it has increased lately, you might want to check it out further.

It might have come out both sides if some got through the crossover tube.

I would chalk it up to having a bike with character!
I'm gunna remember that one ! Character ! :D
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

What's this about centre stands ? Mines easy and I weigh a whole 155 pounds !
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

An occasional blast of smoke from the left pipe is normal and part of the charm of an airhead boxer.  

Our local vintage scooter club, the members of which ride 2-strokes and consequentially love a little smoke, always invite me to ride my 75/5 in their annual rally with them precicely because of this tendency. 

About 5 years ago, I happened to be at the same cafe they meet at and when I kicked over my bike, a large plume of blue smoke engulfed the cafe.  As I got my helmet & gloves on, one of the members ran out of the cafe to tell me "that was the most rock & roll thing I have ever seen!" and handed me a flyer for their upcoming rally. This weekend will be the 5th of their scooter rallys I have attended on my /5!
'72 R75/5
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

I used to work in downtown Denver and had to park in a parking garage while I was slaving away for the almighty $. One day I started up my '78 R80/7 (it was parked on the side stand) and it coughed out a big cloud of smoke from the left cylinder, as it was wont to do. Unfortunately the smoke proceeded to engulf the parking lot attendant's little shack where she sat to collect money from people exiting. I could see the poor woman coughing and waving the smoke away. I felt pretty bad about it but there wasn't a whole lot I could do at the time. After that I always made sure to park it on the centerstand.

That's one aspect of airheads I do not miss.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Sibbo wrote:What's this about centre stands ? Mines easy and I weigh a whole 155 pounds !
Lots of things factor in:

Technique/timing
Maintenance and condition of the centerstand
Tire size
Spring preload
What springs and their condition

The same model with sacked springs, low profile tires, and set on the lowest spring preload can be 10 times as hard to get on the stand as one in opposite condition.
MS - out