Smoking after using side stand

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 287

Re: Smoking after using side stand

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Major Softie wrote:
Sibbo wrote:What's this about centre stands ? Mines easy and I weigh a whole 155 pounds !
Lots of things factor in:

Technique/timing
Maintenance and condition of the centerstand
Tire size
Spring preload
What springs and their condition

The same model with sacked springs, low profile tires, and set on the lowest spring preload can be 10 times as hard to get on the stand as one in opposite condition.
I think there were improvements in the centerstand design along the line, too. Especially around 1981 or so.
I was especially envious of the neat folding handle on the K bikes when they came out.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

justoneoftheguys wrote: I was especially envious of the neat folding handle on the K bikes when they came out.
Did you always dream of being a neat folding handle, Rob? :geek:
Lord of the Bings
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

ME 109 wrote:
justoneoftheguys wrote: I was especially envious of the neat folding handle on the K bikes when they came out.
Did you always dream of being a neat folding handle, Rob? :geek:
Now you are starting to sound like Professor Softie.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Professor Softie actually has a neat folding handle.
MS - out
hal

Post by hal »

I use the centre stand for winter parking.. On my '97, I use it a bit more, doesn't hurt my back that much.. I bit of smoke is Ok..
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

justoneoftheguys wrote:
Major Softie wrote:
Sibbo wrote:What's this about centre stands ? Mines easy and I weigh a whole 155 pounds !
Lots of things factor in:

Technique/timing
Maintenance and condition of the centerstand
Tire size
Spring preload
What springs and their condition

The same model with sacked springs, low profile tires, and set on the lowest spring preload can be 10 times as hard to get on the stand as one in opposite condition.
I think there were improvements in the centerstand design along the line, too. Especially around 1981 or so.
I was especially envious of the neat folding handle on the K bikes when they came out.
The 81-84 centre stand is crap, I think that they moved the pivot point when fitting the 2nd balance tube on the exhaust and even with Jorge's modifications it is a beast to use, and impossible to use when loaded. In contrast the 1975 stand on the 90/6 is much easier to use. The one on my Norton is a delight, best of the bunch, good thing because it does not have a side stand.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6