Triple tree Mod for a /5

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
boxertwinjeff

Triple tree Mod for a /5

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Fabricated Specifically for the /5, will these considerably improve Handling, and would it be a Worthwhile Mod?.. Cheers Jeff.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Triple tree Mod for a /5

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

From what I've heard, the ToasterTan Topbrace or any good quality top triple tree is supposed to be money well spent.

http://www.pbase.com/toastertan/top_braces

Kurt in S.A.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

first off, the factory top brace is strong enough for the purpose for 95% of the riders, or more. The problem with the flat stamped out piece of sheet metal is that they didn't stamp the holes in the right place. If the aftermarket brace is made correctly then it can work OK.

Most riders expect to remove the original brace and replace it. It isn't that simple, as any brace will require the forks to be in alignment. If you don't understand how Important it is and/or aren't willing to do it, then no brace is going to serve you.

Mostly, we don't need a better brace than the stock one. Far better to have forks in alignment.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
uncle mark

Post by uncle mark »

Duane ... it is aufully shiney!
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Quite a few guys that have done this Mod tell me theres a Marked difference in handling.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

Nothing wrong with the SJBMW brace, and it costs around half the TT item.

And SJ answer their emails-------.

As Duane says, if your existing brace is new /good and the forks properly aligned not a lot, if any, benefit
Probably about the same as adjusting the bearings

But if yours is original then it is around 40 years old and 40 years flexing and twisting doesn't improve it - the brace on my well used G/S was close to failure, as well as twisted and fretted.

It is also a lot easier for one person to align the forks with a billet top.

The tubular lower brace made a decent difference on my G/S too, but G/S forks are unbushed so when they wear there is not a lot else you can do.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Yeh, mines 40 years old and looking tired anyway...it will also be another nice looking appointment to my bike
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Roy Gavin wrote:Nothing wrong with the SJBMW brace, and it costs around half the TT item.

And SJ answer their emails-------.
Toaster Tan had a bad accident recently, due to a tank slapper that launched him off his bike. Could be why he isn't answering emails...