Bad dogs!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Re: Bad dogs!

Post by SteveD »

grant81rs wrote: Just bag me out and call me names without getting off topic to much, as that just may be all the motivation that i need to get my ass into gear..
Hey ya slow bastage...get that thing sorted.
Riding is at hand....well, it might be for some if only they could get their own bike sorted.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday fellas

How polite of you steveD, i expected a good thrashing, i actually got the bike out and polished it up this arvo, is now looking very respectable to pass a roadworthy...
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote:Image
Looks like a cat scan.
I'd go see a dogtor if I was u.
Lord of the Bings
Ken in Oklahoma

Why No Aftermarket Gears?

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

For quite a while now I've been wondering why aftermarket gears aren't available for our airheads. There is, of course, that "overdrive" gear that some people have used. But other than that, nada, as I understand. When I was paying more attention to the Brit bike world there was at least one manufacturer (Quaife?) who made whole gear sets and spares for at least some of the more popular/numerous Brit bike transmissions. There were even specialized close-ratio gear sets for racing applications.

I'm thinking that there are a lot of airheads still being operated in the world. And of the 5-speeds there are only(?) two different sets of gears (5th gear helix angle change). Surely the demand for airhead gears is at least as much as for the various Brit bike gear sets for which aftermarket gears are available. With CNC machines now relatively common, even in low volume shops, I'm surprised that the (perhaps latent) demand hasn't inspired an enterprising gear manufacturer.

And the entrepreneur doesn't even have to own a factory. The world is full of manufacturers who can make anything we want of any quality we're willing to pay for. Are there no Chinese short-run job shops?

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have gears with machined dogs (and their mating holes) instead of as-cast?

For crying out loud, we're only trying to run up to 60 HP (stock) through relatively large gears. How hard can it be?

Ken, naive in Oklahoma

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Ken, there you go again, being logical. Of course you could tell us what you really think instead of sugar coating it.

How is Gretchen these days?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Ken in Oklahoma

Duane Ausherman wrote: How is Gretchen these days?
Sent you a PM Duane
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

grant81rs wrote:...
Its all ready and sitting there for a RWC, just have to get it done and throw the money over the counter at vicroads, its that simple charlie.
Just bag me out and call me names without getting off topic to much, as that just may be all the motivation that i need to get my ass into gear..
GRANT FOWLER, YOU GET YOUR LAZY ARSE DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL TAME ROADWORTHY BLOKE THIS VERY DAY WITH A SLAB OF BEER UNDER YOUR ARM, THEN GET YERSELF DOWN TO VICROADS WITH A POCKET FULL OF DOLLARS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER THAT, OR THE MOTORCYCLING GODS WILL SMITE YOU ROYALLY. A MOB OF STROPPY EMUS MAY WELL KICK DOWN YOUR SHIT-HOUSE AS WELL, JUST FOR THE JOY OF IT.

There, how's that? See you at Geehi.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ken in Oklahoma

Airbear wrote: GRANT FOWLER, YOU GET YOUR LAZY ARSE DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL TAME ROADWORTHY BLOKE THIS VERY DAY WITH A SLAB OF BEER UNDER YOUR ARM, THEN GET YERSELF DOWN TO VICROADS WITH A POCKET FULL OF DOLLARS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER THAT, OR THE MOTORCYCLING GODS WILL SMITE YOU ROYALLY. A MOB OF STROPPY EMUS MAY WELL KICK DOWN YOUR SHIT-HOUSE AS WELL, JUST FOR THE JOY OF IT.

There, how's that? See you at Geehi.
Damn! I thought it was pretty good. I felt this crazy compulsion to get myself a ticket to Oz with a fist full of good ol' 'Merican dollars and look up that Tame Roadworthy bloke myself. What kind of beer would be the best for me to get?

Of course I know that's all irrational thinking on my part. Stroppy Emus cant swim oceans--can they? And if I don't have a shit house, that won't piss them off will it? And why won't Grant get off his ass and relieve me of all this worry?

Ken, nervous in Oklahoma

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Does anyone know if this is the same gear as a four speed transmission? There's a used one for sale on German ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R50-5-R60-5 ... 6371587%26