R100R 1993

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Souljer

Re: R100R 1993

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

I did try on the AEROstich Roadcrafter. That's why I drove down there. For the price I thought (based on the reputation I'd read about) it would be worth a look at least. It fit well enough for a used garment and I bought it.

I also wanted to try on the gloves so I stopped by there on the way back.
Now I know how those fit off the rack.

I'd also read elsewhere that things like gloves and boots are very hard to fit and buy without trying them on (like off the web).

Thanks for your post.
Last edited by Souljer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Things which are different in order simply to be different are seldom better,
but that which is made to be better is almost always different.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Jean

Post by Jean »

Ahhh. U done good, so far.
I would advise against any boots that have laces as they tend to catch on the carbs.
There will be some feedback on this, but it only has to happen ONCE for you to regret it.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Because it only has to happen once for you to fall down at a stoplight and look like an idiot. It doesn't have to be on the carbs either. I've done it on the shift or brake lever on other bikes.
MS - out
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

The Aerostich is great stuff. It never looks out of place to me in that it is functional and not an attempt to convince people you're an escaped pro track racer or chopper riding wanna be badass. What that means to me is that it isn't so stylized that it is trying to convince anybody of anything. I think it's really good stuff that lasts almost indefinitely. Also, I like warm colors and red hits that button.

I have long thumbs, proportionally, and have found that Held gloves work best for me. If the glove exerts pressure on your thumb, by the end of a long day, it will be so tender you hate touching it.

I live near San Diego and Aerostich is going to have a pop up store less than five miles from my house around the twentieth of Nov. I'll make sure to check it out.

Have you checked out Lee Parks' book about riding/safety? There are some really good books about it. Robert (I think that's his first name) Hough has some good books as well. Worth the read.

Chuey
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

These days, there is no excuse for not taking advantage of the superior protection that can be had for a very a reasonable price. The First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket is a good example with its 3D0 armor. A spine protector is a great idea. This stuff is only for smart people though....are you a smart person? :geek:

+1 on Held gloves.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

I do have some lace up boots and have ridden in some tallish Doc Martens, but never thought about getting my laces entangled in the controls. The boots I normally wear don't have laces. Just tall, pull on types. Those are probably awful too I'm sure, but right now they are also probably the best I got.

I am planning on going to that Pop-Up store. It's about an 1.5 hours from me, but since this suit cost me so little compared to new I feel it's worth it. I'll probably try to go before the weekend rush. We'll see. Plus I want to see what else they have up close. This old Roadcrafter does fit but I am hoping I can get them to make it fit a little better. I love the armor idea but I want it to stay were I need it if I ever need it. Things seem a bit loose right now.
Sent them an email stating what I got and that I am interested in hip and spine armor too. I hope they bring some of that.
Not heard of the book but will look it up. Thanks.
Zombie Master wrote:These days, there is no excuse for not taking advantage of the superior protection that can be had for a very a reasonable price. The First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket is a good example with its 3D0 armor. A spine protector is a great idea. This stuff is only for smart people though....are you a smart person? :geek:

+1 on Held gloves.
Am I smart?
Relative to what...? Someone who does not buy a used Roadcrafter? Maybe. A dog or a raccoon? Maybe not.

Thanks everyone.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Jean wrote: I would advise against any boots that have laces as they tend to catch on the carbs.
Not only that Jean, yer can accidentally tie yer boots together and fall over when yer go to get on the bike.
Well, it's theoretically possible. :geek:
Lord of the Bings
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

You could tie your boots together...?
What are they putting in those beers down under, Mr. Dances-With-'Roos?
ME 109 wrote: Field test video. The crash bars were the difference between rotating the cover and plugging the hole, and putting the bike on a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcz1qcxYuA
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

Actually this reminds me I was going to get back to the issue of crash bars.

I did read that article and it made me think.
Then there is the video of "Dances With 'Roos" and a slide like that is exactly what I was trying to protect against.

So now I don't know if it's a good idea or not.
I guess I'll just have to watch out for kangaroos. And deer. And sand. And everything.

I don't know.
I'm exhausted. Time to pass out...
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Day after tomorrow is when the Aerostich store "pops up" near me.

Souljer, your sense of humor seems to fit in here very well. You can get help for that. Do not wait until it is too late.

Didja go? What was your impression? I gotta go. It's so close and I have some questions about my suit.

Chuey