Browns side stand install

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
enigmaT120

Re: Browns side stand install

Post by enigmaT120 »

There's an edit button on the posts that I made today, but not on my previous ones. Weird. Maybe you have a limited time in which to mend your ways?

...I edited this just to show off.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

enigmaT120 wrote:There's an edit button on the posts that I made today, but not on my previous ones. Weird. Maybe you have a limited time in which to mend your ways?

...I edited this just to show off.
Nothing weird...this is just the forums first light, so to speak. The forum gods are switching on knobs and blinkers here as we speak, er, write. I see too there's the all mighty delete post button.
Cool beans.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Native /5 wrote:You surmise correctly. The thing bolts to the rear engine mount bolt, which is where the footpeg bolts on my bike. Hanger is reversed, etc. No undue strain is palced on the exhaust.
Got it on. Had to shim the stand of the frame a bit (thick washer) so that it doesn't hit the muffler when retracted. I've got about 3/8". Now I see I have to remove the headers to remove the old side stand. Think I'll wait till I have some other service to do before I remove the old side stand. I'll never understand how BMW could get this so wrong, they put a replaceable bushing, and the stand even has a grease fitting, and still it never worked that well.
Indian

Post by Indian »

I got my Brown stand with no instructions. I have fitted it and wonder why I did not get mine earlier, though I ordered one from Matt about 4 years ago.
I just took the stand to the bike and all fell into place, but then i must be smart. :mrgreen:
Click for my page
Zombie Master

Still unable to install

Post by Zombie Master »

I've shimmed the stand off the frame as far as I can, but I'm out of threads on both sides of the rear frame mount and the stand still smacks the muffler when retracted. Almost seems this stand will not fit my 84' R100. :cry:
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Beat to fit. Paint to match.

Or, in other words, you could bend it if you don't like how it's shaping up.

Chuey
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Not sure what the material is. The instructions warn about modifying the stand in any way.
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

Zombie Master wrote:Not sure what the material is. The instructions warn about modifying the stand in any way.
The leg is made of steel. Not sure what grade, but it rusts. If you bend it your "warranty" will be void, like on your Suzuki.

Do your header pipes tuck in closer to the centerline of the bike like the R100R models do?
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Native /5 wrote:
Zombie Master wrote:Not sure what the material is. The instructions warn about modifying the stand in any way.
The leg is made of steel. Not sure what grade, but it rusts. If you bend it your "warranty" will be void, like on your Suzuki.

Do your header pipes tuck in closer to the centerline of the bike like the R100R models do?
Not sure, my pipes have been where they are for 27 years. I'm thinking I might as well try and return the Browns stand and modify the original with a thicker foot. Too bad, it does support the bike well.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

What I like about the Brown stand on my RS is that I can get on and off the bike while it's on the stand. At times when I've been riding for a couple hours or eight or ten, I like that I don't have to balance the bike. ZM, you're taller than me so that will not be as strong of an attraction for you. I do think the stand touches the pipes but not in a bad way. I think they like it.

Chuey