S fairing mounting

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Marty

S fairing mounting

Post by Marty »

Hello
Finally getting around to mounting the genuine fairing onto my '76 R100S. It had a pattern one fitted. Am missing all the mounting brackets and have a couple of questions.
Shackle 31421240651. Does this mount under the fork top nut ? Is it flat, and what is the purpose of the small extension opposite the rod mounting slot ? Dimensions?
Rod 4663124065 Dimensions ?
Support 46631233201 Dimensions ?
I am looking to make these items as I've been unable to source them. I could mount them incorrectly but usually it takes as long to do it properly,
Alternatively, would anyone have spares they would sell me ?
Cheers
Marty
NZ
Deleted User 62

Re: S fairing mounting

Post by Deleted User 62 »

MaxBMW is the supplier for BMWNA and shows them as all in stock. The shackle does mount under the fork nut. That extension indexes to the bolt holding the instrument cluster, so it won't pivot on the fork nut. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=04302013 under "Frame, Fairing, Cases": Image
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks Tim, I had looked at the parts book. I'm not in the US and have found business freight from there a bit frightening. But I appear to have solved my problem
Cheers Marty
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

These parts will be available from Motorworks and Motobins in the UK, even if they don't appear on the website.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
sterob

Post by sterob »

chasbmw wrote:These parts will be available from Motorworks and Motobins in the UK, even if they don't appear on the website.
That's what I was thinking too.....
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

The most expensive part, as far as I know, is the turn signal mounts. The stock ones are nice but seem too high in cost. If you want to make some, here is what I did for one pair.

I had a few extra parts. I took two regular turn signal mounts. Stirred in some cut off sections from a rear turn signal mount. Most of those are bent so there are usually some of them hanging around the marketplace at reasonable prices. As I recall, it is a soft, low temp melting solder they are held together with.

If you need, I may be able to get you the length of the tubing sections you will need to replace the originals with. Make sure the notches for indexing the actual turn signal housings are aligned properly before you turn to the torches.

The turn signal mounts for an "S" fairing have longer tubular sections. Other than that, they are the same as stock ones for bikes without fairings. Please imagine that I've cut and pasted this up top in my post, here. I think it may make more sense, chronologically.

Chuey
dougie

Post by dougie »

Chuey wrote:The most expensive part, as far as I know, is the turn signal mounts. The stock ones are nice but seem too high in cost. If you want to make some, here is what I did for one pair.

I had a few extra parts. I took two regular turn signal mounts. Stirred in some cut off sections from a rear turn signal mount. Most of those are bent so there are usually some of them hanging around the marketplace at reasonable prices. As I recall, it is a soft, low temp melting solder they are held together with.

If you need, I may be able to get you the length of the tubing sections you will need to replace the originals with. Make sure the notches for indexing the actual turn signal housings are aligned properly before you turn to the torches.

The turn signal mounts for an "S" fairing have longer tubular sections. Other than that, they are the same as stock ones for bikes without fairings. Please imagine that I've cut and pasted this up top in my post, here. I think it may make more sense, chronologically.

Chuey
I got some long ones in black from Bob's BMW for not much money.
6 or 7 years ago, about $15 each.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the replies. I had a replica fairing fitted and it had the S stalks. Only parts needed now are the brackets for under the fork nuts, which are on the way. Total cost so far- a few beers. I'm lucky
Marty
sterob

Post by sterob »

I just saw this on Ebay.
I pic of all the parts you need..apparently...
But it sounds like your all sorted.

Steve

Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks. Handy pic. Tried to find the item but could not. You wouldn't have the link would you ?
Thanks
Marty