Bean can problem

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
FMurtz

Bean can problem

Post by FMurtz »

I pulled bean can to bits, replaced sender but am a bit perplexed putting it back together,
The two pins that move in a slot on the advance and retard stick out and rub on the shim washer between case and assembly
the two pins will not go flush,the circlip on the opposite end stops this.

when I replaced all shims on the out side the pin locking the coupling would not go in without removing a few shims.
Something does not gel, unless I picked up extra shims from something I was working on at the same time (air con compressor off a car) but I can not see how as they had separate parts trays.
Ray from Indiana

Re: Bean can problem

Post by Ray from Indiana »

I haven't had to go into mine yet but I saved this link.
There's another embedded link to pictures. The last picture shows the layout order of parts. Maybe you can compare how you put yours back together against that pic.

http://maniac.deathstar.org/~flash/ig_trig.html
Ray from Indiana

Post by Ray from Indiana »

BTW, can you post a link to the place you bought the Hall sensor?
FMurtz

Post by FMurtz »

PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

FMurtz wrote:I pulled bean can to bits, replaced sender but am a bit perplexed putting it back together,
The two pins that move in a slot on the advance and retard stick out and rub on the shim washer between case and assembly
the two pins will not go flush,the circlip on the opposite end stops this.

when I replaced all shims on the out side the pin locking the coupling would not go in without removing a few shims.
Something does not gel, unless I picked up extra shims from something I was working on at the same time (air con compressor off a car) but I can not see how as they had separate parts trays.
The thrust washers sandwich the base of the can. You have them about a inch from where they should be. Check the order of assembly for the parts.
FMurtz

Post by FMurtz »

There is a fibre washer and the metal shim on that shaft on the inside of the can (where I have placed that shim in the picture)and a few under the coupling on the outside of the can.which seems to mean that those two moving pins rub on the shim washer while in operation. if this is the case the play would be critical as the pins have to move when the centrifugal arms move.
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

FMurtz wrote:There is a fibre washer and the metal shim on that shaft on the inside of the can (where I have placed that shim in the picture)and a few under the coupling on the outside of the can.which seems to mean that those two moving pins rub on the shim washer while in operation. if this is the case the play would be critical as the pins have to move when the centrifugal arms move.
The thrust washers sandwich the base of the can. You have them about a inch from where they should be. Check the order of assembly for the parts.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Ray from Indiana wrote:BTW, can you post a link to the place you bought the Hall sensor?
To boxerworkers, I can send hall effect sensors @ $20 each, plus post.
Postage via Australia Post, package less than 500gms and OZ$14.10 unregistered airmail.
They weigh 10 grams each, so however many fits in a box that's less than 500gms is still only $14.10 postage.
Paypal works.
Available via pm.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
FMurtz

Post by FMurtz »

PITAPan wrote:
FMurtz wrote:There is a fibre washer and the metal shim on that shaft on the inside of the can (where I have placed that shim in the picture)and a few under the coupling on the outside of the can.which seems to mean that those two moving pins rub on the shim washer while in operation. if this is the case the play would be critical as the pins have to move when the centrifugal arms move.
I don't quite get what you are talking about.
The fibre and steel washers on the inside of the can are pushed between the two pins on the pic and the seal in the end of the can when the assembly is pushed home.
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

FMurtz wrote:
PITAPan wrote:
I don't quite get what you are talking about.
The fibre and steel washers on the inside of the can are pushed between the two pins on the pic and the seal in the end of the can when the assembly is pushed home.
I don't want to be a total asshole here, but you think something ain't put together right? just maybe? It only goes together two ways; the right way and the wrong way. If something is hitting, guess which way you got??

Your photography is excellent. Take a look at the pictures you took when you were tearing it down?

Do you have an exploded diagram of the assembly sequence? You can stop thinking you have it together right somewhere back where I was telling you how I was going to fail at not being an asshole. You got it wrong. Capiche?

I really don't feeling liking going out in the frigid shop and tearing down one of mine just 'cause you didn't properly document the diss-assembly and don't feel like digging up a diagram on the net.

If there really isn't one out there, ANYWHERE, I'll make one. But I don't feel like scouring the net to find out. I tear stuff like that down with an engraver and notepad at hand and it goes back together just like it came apart. Have I screwed up and learned my lesson? oh yeah. Anyway I don't know what's out there in other resources and you can use google just like I can. maybe better.

Have a blessed day.. ;)