Twisted front fender r100rt

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
sprints@pldi.net

Twisted front fender r100rt

Post by sprints@pldi.net »

My 91 r100rt (blue of course) has a slightly twisted front fender. It was that way when I bought it and it seems to be more plastic (rubbery) than the tailpiece and side covers. Any ideas on how I might straighten it out. The front tip bends towards the right slightly. Do I heat it or what? Thanks - Rod
Duane Ausherman

Re: Twisted front fender r100rt

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Are you sure that it is twisted? Could it be that it isn't centered correctly in the mounting holes. One the older plastic used on the /5 etc, it had great memory and when it looked twisted, it usually was just the mounting. We had to hog out a few holes and then remount while holding it in the other direction.

If it is really twisted, I would try a gentle approach first. I would block it well over to the left side and leave it parked in the sun. This may do nothing though.

Next would be to set my heater blower near and let it blow hot air on it for hours while blocked to the left. I would use my laser pointer thermometer to make sure that I didn't get it too hot, whatever that is.

I bet someone will have a better suggestion.

Even back in the /2 days the new bikes often had a fender that was well off center, usually the rear. This was common.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

I had both fenders looking twisted on my old girl. I fixed them by adding extra rubber washers in appropriate positions. In your case, adding an extra rubber washer under the fender at the front left and rear right positions will probably correct the twist. If you don't have any rubber washers you can cut some from an old inner tube.

ps: We call 'em Mudguards here. 'Fender' gives the wrong message about their function. Grin.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

Is the fender actually distorted
or are misaligned fork tubes/fork brace
creating a visual cue?
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

sprints@pldi.net wrote:My 91 r100rt (blue of course) has a slightly twisted front fender. It was that way when I bought it and it seems to be more plastic (rubbery) than the tailpiece and side covers. Any ideas on how I might straighten it out. The front tip bends towards the right slightly. Do I heat it or what? Thanks - Rod
Take it off, set it on the kitchen table over night then look at it in the morning and see what it looks like.
captmako

Post by captmako »

It's Twisted, Sister. My '86 R80 front fender is crookedy, too. I always appear to be running off the road when I look at it. Somewhat distracting to say the least. Might have a go at fixing mine also.
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

Put the front wheel in a lift clamp/vice
grab & turn the handle bars...
watch the front fender do the twist
Chubby Checker style.
sprints@pldi.net

Post by sprints@pldi.net »

The mystery is solved for all who've lost sleep wondering about my crooked front fender. The culprit was the brake line. For those with r100rt's you know how awkward it is to remove the front fender and wheel. Because you have to remove at least one of the calipers 1st it distorts the brake line that goes from the right caliper to the left. When you reinstall it, it can be deformed and being steel it's pretty strong. Mine was bent enough to press against the left inside of the fender, twisting it. I re-formed the brake line and carefully reinstalled it and now the fender it straight. I know this doesn't apply to alot of BMW's but thought it helpful for rt folks - Rod
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Thanks for the feedback, Rod. And well done, getting it sorted.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
captmako

Post by captmako »

sprints@pldi.net wrote:The mystery is solved for all who've lost sleep wondering about my crooked front fender. The culprit was the brake line. For those with r100rt's you know how awkward it is to remove the front fender and wheel. Because you have to remove at least one of the calipers 1st it distorts the brake line that goes from the right caliper to the left. When you reinstall it, it can be deformed and being steel it's pretty strong. Mine was bent enough to press against the left inside of the fender, twisting it. I re-formed the brake line and carefully reinstalled it and now the fender it straight. I know this doesn't apply to alot of BMW's but thought it helpful for rt folks - Rod
Rod did you just remove the fender to straighten the brake line? I think you may have hit upon the issue
I too am having.