R100R 1993

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: R100R 1993

Post by ME 109 »

Some of us have the amazing ability to read between the lines and know how to answer someone's question.
Without getting our knickers in a knot, and hung up on..........................whatever.

Soulja, LED lights are good, but aren't necessary on our bikes. If you want a brighter headlight, try a 55/100 watt halogen.
Fits straight in, and gives much better high beam. There are also H4 bulbs by Phillips and others that claim to give an extra 50, 60, or 80% light for the same current draw.
There are also 55/130 watt H4 bulbs but they have a short life span in my experience and will not be good for your wiring loom. Perhaps your model may have a heavier gauge headlight loom, perhaps not.

Bit of oil weeping here and there, don't worry about it. It cleans off easily.

Regards your shifting to neutral, try turning the clutch cable adjuster at the handle bar 'out' one turn.
This works for me.
The symptom of a 'too loose' clutch cable is shifting from first, right past neutral and into second. And vice versa.
This has nothing to do with your neutral light working intermittently.
Lord of the Bings
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

ME 109 wrote:Some of us have the amazing ability to read between the lines and know how to answer someone's question.
Without getting our knickers in a knot, and hung up on..........................whatever.
Some of us have the amazing ability to read between the lines, make massive assumptions based on our own projections and write up the information we want to show off, irrespective of what is truly desired. Have I even mentioned that? I must have----

But some of us also get our knickers in a knot because we're hung up on someone else knowing better than that BS and knowing that they've spotted us, we don't like looking silly.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

PITAPan wrote:
ME 109 wrote:Some of us have the amazing ability to read between the lines and know how to answer someone's question.
Some of us have the amazing ability to read between the lines, make massive assumptions based on our own projections and write up the information we want to show off, irrespective of what is truly desired. Have I even mentioned that? I must have----

But some of us also get our knickers in a knot because we're hung up on someone else knowing better than that BS and knowing that they've spotted us, we don't like looking silly.
I admire the guys here who know their stuff. I've learned a lot from them. Even you.
I don't like wankers who chastise someone for asking questions, however phrased.
I like Soulja, and reading his adventures into motorcycling. It would be a pity if such people are chased off because they are made to look silly by not asking 'A grade quality' mechanics questions.
Lord of the Bings
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Souljer, thanks for the update on your motorcycling adventures. You are obviously having fun, which is what it's all about.

Re finding neutral, I find a tiny blip of the throttle helps me snick the lever from first into neutral.
Don't worry about the oil smears. Most airheads I've seen get a bit grubby around those places - mine does.

And don't be put off by PitaPAN's little rants. He is old and grumpy.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Pay close attention to where he is right, and ignore where he is wrong . . . or telling you what and how to post.

It may take you some time to recognize the stuff to ignore where he's wrong (he mixes it in amongst lots of right stuff), but you can probably figure out the bossy stuff already. :mrgreen:
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:
Rev Light wrote: Slip - on boots will not still be on your feet when you need them most.
Absolutely true. Hopefully no one thought that those of us warning against laces were suggesting slip-ons. That's why the enormous majority of "real" motorcycle boots have zippers or buckles.

Laces on high boots are much easier to keep out of the way. Laces on just-over-the-ankle boots are more likely candidates for a Laugh-In moment.
Speed lace hooks are worse than laces. I dropped an airhead because the hook grabed the float bowl retaining clip. Looks like it was designed to do that job. Gas got all over the rear wheel and I feel down on a wet spot with reverse camber. IMO as soon as a bike runs funny, stop immediately! I won't be riding, wearing boots with speed lace hooks ever again. :oops:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Hi,
Major Softie wrote:Pay close attention to where he is right, and ignore where he is wrong . . . or telling you what and how to post.

It may take you some time to recognize the stuff to ignore where he's wrong (he mixes it in amongst lots of right stuff), but you can probably figure out the bossy stuff already. :mrgreen:
Oh yes. I'm very familiar with "the Bossy Stuff" from various people. :lol: Sometimes it's amusing, sometimes it's silly and tiresome. I generally try to filter out the useful truth inside and ignore the chaff. I've been an artist with a different point of view my whole life and I never got any new information by not asking questions or pretending I know all the answers. Silly questions or phrasing? It's all relative. Some know more than others. We all start at the beginning.

I'm not on these forums because I know all the answers. I'm not here because I want to celebrate myself or need constant reassurance of my intelligence. I don't have to be the smartest, most experienced person here. All I need to do is be able to talk with a few of the more experienced here. I want to keep learning. My ego is not so fragile. I can take a hit and that's how I keep getting better, learning from mistakes and failures. I follow an old saying I heard once - Japanese I think:
Fall down seven times,
Stand up eight.

Anyway, I appreciate the support and information everyone. I've been off working and riding. Last time I had that same leaky carburetor problem. So last night I removed the float bowl and let some of the gas drain out. Is that supposed to clean out the needle valve?

I'll take it for a ride in the morning and see if it's still leaking.

I did notice something odd in the tray where I caught the fuel. At the bottom, below the gasoline, there seemed to be drops or bubbles that eventually collected together and make one bigger bubble. What would do that in gasoline? Water? Is that normal or common?

I made a video of the whole 10 minute job.
I'll see if I can record the test drive also to see what that reveals.

Thanks again.
Things which are different in order simply to be different are seldom better,
but that which is made to be better is almost always different.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

The bubbles you're seeing is accumulated water in the fuel. Water doesn't burn well, so toss it out. Now that you've found some in the bowls, there's reason to be concerned that there's some in the fuel tank. Pull off the float bowls every few weeks to see whether more water has become evident. Toss it out if/when you find it. A bit of fuel treatment of your choice might be prudent, too. Don't leave the tank partially filled for significant periods of disuse; either fill the tank with fuel (this reduces the room inside the tank for water-carrying atmospheric air that condenses out onto the exposed interior surfaces of the tank), or empty the tank completely and lube the interior of the tank if it's going to be laid up for a long time.
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Hello Souljer, those are definitely water droplets you see forming in the collected gasoline. I had a similar problem lately. It seems that ethanol based fuel has an affinity for the water vapor in the air and causes it to condense more rapidly. If you noticed there were no droplets when you first dumped the fuel, you're probably OK. That said, see if you can find a station in your area that sells non-ethanol fuel. You will have more power, better mileage and your floats will work as intended. I found that with ethanol fuel, my floats had to be adjusted lower to make up for their tendency to sit lower in the fuel. When I switched to the non-ethanol, that adjustment was too low and I had the symptoms of fuel starvation at higher rpms. Re-setting the float height to the stock recommendations cured that...
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Water can get in through the cap as well from rain or washing the bike, if the seal is broken or damaged.
Mine has been doing it for a while.
First symptom is usually rough idle.
Lord of the Bings