R nineT

Discussion about modern BMW twins
gocytocis

R nineT

Post by gocytocis »

Had a chance to sit on the new R nineT at our local bike show yesterday. 

Some first impressions are:
- it's very well made with good fit & finish
- the design is very expressive of function, and details are well-resolved
- retro-inspired without being being nostalgic
- comfortable upright ergos
- at 490lbs wet, it it's heavier than I was hoping for and/or expected, especially given the liberal use of aluminum, even on the 4.8 gal tank
- the 1170 hexhead motor is mounted nice & high, as a stressed member, with lots of cornering clearance
- the front end looks straight off the S1000rr 
- Brembo brakes up front so you know stopping will be phenomenal
- pricing was shown as ~$16k

I could easily see buying one of these used in a couple of years for ~$10k as a great all-rounder. 
'72 R75/5
The Veg

Re: R nineT

Post by The Veg »

gocytocis wrote:- the front end looks straight off the S1000rr 
That's because it is straight off the S1000RR.

I sat on the RnineT at BMW-Welt in Munich last month. Seemed like a nice fun bike but I can't see buying one (new or used) as my only bike, but I could see it for somebody who just likes to have fun for short distances. And it brought back some familiar feelings, as from 2003-2007 an R100R was what I rode and I tried to make mine a bit sporty.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

The Veg wrote:I can't see buying one (new or used) as my only bike, but I could see it for somebody who just likes to have fun for short distances.
Yea, good point. I suppose it's relative.

I certainly don't consider myself a hard-core tourer, but I do overnight & weekend trips of 2,000 to 3,000 km at a time with just a back-pack & tank-bag. To the extent that these kinds of trips might be considered "short distances", I'd not hesitate to use a R nineT.
'72 R75/5
captmako

Post by captmako »

I see BMW Motorrad just came out with price at $14,900.00 USD. Anti-theft option at $395.00.
Hmmmmmmm. I will go see them at my nearest dealer. My old airhead serves me well. Not
sure she would appreciate some hussie in the garage.
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

captmako wrote:I see BMW Motorrad just came out with price at $14,900.00 USD.
Yep, that sounds about right. The show I attended with the price of $15,900 was in Canada.

It's suspicious that prices in Canada adjust immediately upward when the Canadian dollar is worth less, yet prices remain decidedly more 'sticky' when our dollar is at parity or above... :?
'72 R75/5