Windshield Height

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jeff in W.C.

Windshield Height

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

I've got a question regarding windshields. I have an 88 R100 RT and I need a new shield. I've hesitated, because I'm just not sure of the proper size. I'm a little over 6' tall and have the stock seat. So, I have a quick question. Is it better to have a shield a little short or a little tall? I'm leaning towards either the 21.5" or 24" high Clearview shield, but I feel like I'd prefer something in between.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Windshield Height

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Jeff in W.C. wrote:I've got a question regarding windshields. I have an 88 R100 RT and I need a new shield. I've hesitated, because I'm just not sure of the proper size. I'm a little over 6' tall and have the stock seat. So, I have a quick question. Is it better to have a shield a little short or a little tall? I'm leaning towards either the 21.5" or 24" high Clearview shield, but I feel like I'd prefer something in between.
Since you don't know how tall you want the windshield to be, and other peoples height and preferences may be different, I don't imagine that you will get much better advice other than to be able to look above the windshield and see the road where you're going to be in a few seconds. In other words you will be looking over the windshield. Generally this height would translate to your head being in relatively calm air, with the wind blast deflected over your helmet.

My advice would be to buy the taller windshield, and if it needs shortening, do it yourself. To do that you would put a strip of, say 2" masking tape across the windshield and then mark the proposed cut. When you do the cut you need as fine toothed saw as you can manage. Teeth have a habit of jamming in the cut and ripping some plastic out or even generating cracks. Also friction from a power saw can melt the plastic instead of cutting it, in effect welding the crack closed behind the cut.

That pretty much precludes using any non variable speed power saw, no matter how fine toothed the blade may be. I would suggest using only a bare hacksaw blade, sans hacksaw. You will probably want a metal cutting 32 teeth per inch blade. Then you wrap about half the blade with masking tape to form a handle (or buy a handle/blade holder). Then you would judiciously make the cut, perhaps using soapy water as a lubricant and to wash away any of the dust.

Eventually you will end up with a rather ragged cut at the height you think you want. Before doing anything else I would take the bike for a ride to see if you need the cut to be shorter or not. Cut the windshield again if needs be.

Now you have a windshield at the right height with an ugly saw line. To take care of that you will use sandpaper, starting with, say, 60 grit and working you way finer from there. Much of the initial edge sanding will be to smooth out the cut line. Then when you get that where you want it you will use progressively finer grades of sandpaper to get a nice clear edge. By that point you will probably have arrived at 400 grit paper. To get the edge truly clear you will have to progress beyond that.

At some point in the final "polishing" you may want to use polish, such as rubbing compound, polishing compound, or even Brasso.

My thoughts at least on skinning this particular cat.

Ken

Post by PAS »

Jeff, I have a 21" Clearview on my 81 RT and I usually keep it adjusted almost all the way down. I'm 5'10". I got the Euro curve with the vent. Keep in mind you cant cut the Euro curve down in size due the the flip at the top. It does a great job of kicking the wind up and over your head. The vent is a must have if you ride in hot weather.
PAS
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

+1 on PAS's comments. I also have a 21.5" Clearview shield, and I'm 5'8". I ride with mine reclined back as far as the mountings allow, and I look over it. I also have the "re-curve" top, the vent, and I've re-installed BMW's OE windshield edging. It's stilll noisy enough with my Nolan N103 that I use earmold earplugs for comfortable distance riding. At your height, you'd certainly seem to be a candidate for their tall shield (24"?)---unless you're really short-torso-ed and long-legged, I'd think you'll still be looking over the top of the tall shield.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Wot Ken said +1

I like to install one that is too high and have some tape already on the inside of the windshield for marking. As I ride, I move the tape to the height where I can look over it a bit.

Then I put masking tape on both sides of where I wish to cut. I use my sabre saw with a fine tooth blade for cutting plastic. Remove the tape, sand and finish as desired.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Another way to determine windshield height:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fa ... tml#Height
Garnet

PAS

Post by PAS »

You cant cut the upper recurve off.
daz

Post by daz »

PAS:
I see in your fairing that you used your favorite white bucket to wash all that dirt and grit off your bike. Also by the reflection on the tank I can see that neighbor lady three houses down the block looking out the front window. :)
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
PAS

Post by PAS »

DAZ, Actually that bucket is painted on the fairing.
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Duane Ausherman wrote:Wot Ken said +1

I like to install one that is too high and have some tape already on the inside of the windshield for marking. As I ride, I move the tape to the height where I can look over it a bit.

Then I put masking tape on both sides of where I wish to cut. I use my sabre saw with a fine tooth blade for cutting plastic. Remove the tape, sand and finish as desired.
For added insurance it's good to tape the bottom of the saber saw too.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock