R100R 1993

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Souljer

Re: R100R 1993

Post by Souljer »

...And the pins are under the tank?
So I have to remove the tank, right?

I can see under the tank there is a white box-pin linkage thing I think, but I can't tell if that's the one. There are several cables under there.
IF you tell me there is only one like that, then that's it.
Things which are different in order simply to be different are seldom better,
but that which is made to be better is almost always different.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

I'm sorry, it looks like that switch in the picture is for a brake light. I'm not that familiar with the later bikes wiring harnesses. The picture you are showing is the right handlebar perch? If there is a clutch switch it will be on the left side, actuated by the clutch lever...
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Uh...
Yes my pic is of the right handlebar perch.
That is where my clutch lever is; on the right side.

When you say, "clutch lever" are you talking about something on the left side of the transmission? Somewhere around the lever at the back of the transmission?

Thanks for your help.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
robert

Post by robert »

The right or left side of any vehicle is determined by the rider/driver sitting on or in the vehicle, not standing in front of it.
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

duh...
Sorry.
Haven't had lunch yet.

Apologies for my stupidity.
The picture I posted is of the LEFT hand-side.

The cable at the right side of the pic is the clutch cable and the gas tank, etc. is to the left.
Last edited by Souljer on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
robert

Post by robert »

Don't worry about it, I was just being a smart ass. :D
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Souljer wrote:duh...
Sorry.
Haven't had lunch yet.

Apologies for my stupidity.
The picture I posted is of the LEFT hand-side.

The cable at the right side of the pic is the clutch cable and the gas tank, etc. is to the left.
OK, it's possible they used the same type of switch on both sides, can't find it in the fiche... You're still going to have to trace the wires back to where it plugs into something. Pull the plug and connect a voltmeter set to measure continuity to the two poles of the plug. Then have someone pull the clutch lever and the switch should close, showing a completed circuit on the meter. If not, it's time to change the switch. Hope this helps!
R100RTMark

Post by R100RTMark »

The switch part no. is 61 31 1 459 569. The same type is used for both the front brake switch and the clutch safety switch. The images below are from a BMWNA Service Information note from 1987 that references the detail.
Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s
Past - Variety of British, French, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s
Souljer

Battery Dead?

Post by Souljer »

Hi all,

Yesterday was my birthday.
{Congratulations on not dying!}

Yesterday was also a Tech Day for the local Airhead club. Sort of local for me. About a 50 minute ride. However I had to stop by a BMW dealership to pick up some parts (oil filter & brakes) so it was about 1.5 hours of hot, fast, freeway riding before I even got there. I was tired, and I forgot the oil!

I've been so happy that the bike has never let me down or left me somewhere unscheduled. Until yesterday. It could not endure my ignorance & stupidity any longer.

At the automotive shop I walk out and load up my oil, but the bike won't start. Just "click, click, click". A few weeks ago I noticed that the trickle charge I hook it up to most nights was still on "Charging" the next day. That had never happened before. Now as I prepared to roll the bike down the flat parking lot in an attempt to push start it (I only had to ride back about a mile to the Tech Day house where I knew I'd be fine), I'm also giving the starter button a few more tries. A guy who just pulled up and parked near me hears my battery's sad cries and offers to jump start - he has cables! Great. Ten minutes later I'm heading back.

It turns out the battery was dry. All chambers way down below the plates. So we fill it up and the guy hooks up the charger. A few hours later I'm heading home but by then it's late, about 9:30. I have the lights on and high beams. to be seen on the dark freeway. Everyone is flying by me at 75 or 80 mph. I'm just tired and not in the mood. I also don't like the way the tires keep seeming to wobble or track the grooves of the freeway. I try to hold the bar looser, thinking it's probably just me making things worse.

Almost home (within 20 miles or so) the battery fails and I notice the lights are very dim. I pull off and take another route home were I'll have streetlights to help me. By the time I get home even the indicators are not working. On very dark streets I do notice that the headlight is still giving off a dim light.

When I got home I plugged in the charger and left it. Now (almost 18 hours later) it is still on "Charging" mode.

Is the battery shot and I should just buy a new one, or was it so low that it's just going to take longer than normal?

What would you do?
Thanks for all the experience.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Well, there's a few possibilities:

It was damaged by running dry, and it's pretty much done.

It was damaged by running dry, and it will never have the capacity it used to have, but it may still limp along for quite a while.

It was damaged by running dry, but not enough to make a huge difference.

It ran dry because the battery was pretty much shot anyway and it's just not taking a charge well, and you need a new battery

The battery is great but your regulator is sending too much charge for your riding patterns and it will boil away the electrolyte of a new battery the same as it did that one.

I'm pretty sure I've covered all the bases here, but if there's another reasonable possibility, someone will bring it up.
MS - out