R100R 1993

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Rob

Re: R100R 1993

Post by Rob »

How old is the battery? If over 5 years old, and been neglected, I would replace it.
And check out that voltage regulator.
This is Duane's page on battieries, and at the bottom there is a section on voltage regulators.
http://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/battery/index.htm

I can't believe Duane's link was at the bottom of page two of the Google results! ("BMW motorcycles voltage regulator")
You still with us, Duane?
Rob V
daz

Post by daz »

To be sure if your battery is toast it must be load tested. Remove it, charge it up and get it tested. That's a good first step that does not cost anything but time. Then proceed from there.
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

I got several answers and almost all suggested that since the battery had run dry it was shot or certainly "only a matter of time".
So I just bought a new gel battery.

It's a Power Sports Sealed battery and the guy at the counter said it comes ready; just install. So I did. BTW I use a Yuasa Battery Tender. It's got a "Storage" light. Does that mean that I can plug it in everyday or leave it plugged in for a few days and it will not fry the battery? That's what I thought it meant but I just want to confirm.
Things which are different in order simply to be different are seldom better,
but that which is made to be better is almost always different.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Souljer

Re: Input Spline Lube - 3/2014

Post by Souljer »

Hi,

Way back in March I went to a Tech Day and they helped me disassemble the bike, paint some lubrication on a small part, then reassemble the whole thing before riding back home that night.

I did not have enough video footage to make a cohesive maintenance video but with a little supplemental chatter to bridge the gaps, I hope I've made something at least interesting for those who know what I'm talking about. I hope this is not too far off. As I said near the beginning; this is really about my experience and what I remember I did. It's not a "How-To" video.

It's about 23 minutes if you'd like to watch it.
On my YouTube Channel: ShadowBoxer
http://youtu.be/aWQFqMbSfcE
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Souljer wrote:Hi,

I got several answers and almost all suggested that since the battery had run dry it was shot or certainly "only a matter of time".
So I just bought a new gel battery.

It's a Power Sports Sealed battery and the guy at the counter said it comes ready; just install. So I did. BTW I use a Yuasa Battery Tender. It's got a "Storage" light. Does that mean that I can plug it in everyday or leave it plugged in for a few days and it will not fry the battery? That's what I thought it meant but I just want to confirm.
Pretty sure you do not have a "Yuasa Battery Tender." Battery Tender is a brand name, as is Yuasa. I did a search before writing this just in case Yuasa bought out Battery Tender, but they still appear to be separate companies.

Battery Tenders actually watch your battery's voltage in storage, and, when the voltage drops to a certain point, they turn on and charge it. When it's charged, they turn off and don't come back on until the voltage has dropped again. So, you can absolutely leave it plugged in, for months if necessary, and it will not harm the battery at all; in fact, it's very good for a battery that is not being used for months.

If you actually have a Yuasa charger, then it all depends on how that charger works. If it works the same way as the Battery Tender, then, yes, it will be fine to leave it on. If it's just a low voltage charger that stays on all the time, then it's not a good idea to leave it on all the time.
MS - out
Souljer

Yuasa Smart Shot 900

Post by Souljer »

Thanks for the clarity Major. I appreciate it.

Had to go out to the garage to verify. No doubt I just got the names mixed up. Here is what it says:
Yuasa
Smart Shot 900
Battery Charger-Maintainer
Model: 12V900

It has three lights:
• AC Power • Charge • Storage

So my question was:
I thought "Storage" meant it will not continually pump electrons into a full battery causing problems.
I thought "Storage" meant it would turn off when the battery was full. For example if I plug it in right after getting home, the "Charge" light turns on. The next day the "Storage" light will be on.
The "AC Power" light is always on if it's plugged in.

Thanks again for your help.
(meaning I think you already answered my question. I was just clarifying)
-Dieter Rams, 1993
barryh

Post by barryh »

If you brought a new Gell battery it will lose very little charge in storage. It depends how often you use the bike but I wouldn't bother putting the tender on it if it sits unused for only a few days or even a week. If you have any concerns set a benchmark by measuring the rested overnight voltage at the battery terminals when the battery is fully charged. My Gell battery sits at a remarkable rock steady 13.05 volts. I don't go near it with a charger or tender until it falls below that.

Gell batteries often have the float and cyclic charge voltages printed on the side. If you are going to use a tender be sure not to exceed the float charge voltage. Gells don't like being overcharged and are not as tolerant in that respect as a wet cell.
barry
Cheshire
England
Souljer

Post by Souljer »

Thanks Barry,

Went for a bit of a ride today so I'll start checking that tomorrow when it's back in "Storage" mode.
I wasn't concerned until I was told elsewhere that I should not charge a full battery.

Which relates to my original question; that's what I thought "Storage" was for.
-Dieter Rams, 1993
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

As Barry says, Gels are more particular. Battery tender makes a model specifically for Gel cells. It's supposed to have a little lower charge voltage, if I recall correctly. It might make a difference, or it might be marketing. You'll have to decide.
MS - out
daz

AGM?

Post by daz »

Hello. I tried to look up "Power Sport Sealed Battery" but only get "Western Power Sport Battery". The reason I was interested is because if you really bought a gel battery all the advice you got so far is correct. If the battery you bought is AGM the maintenance is different. AGMs like a higher charge. Both are sealed "maintenance free" batteries.
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML