Ear Plugs!

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
melville

Ear Plugs!

Post by melville »

Had my first ride with fitted ear protection today. Very relaxing. I swear, the engine ran better, too.

Just like my Kombi when I wore ear foamies in it. Until it spit the #1 sparkplug.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob

Re: Ear Plugs!

Post by Rob »

Much nicer than disposable, I take it?

I had a Mazda 323 that spit a plug once. On the interstate. Not pretty. Damn POs/mechanics. Made a hell of a racket, and dropped power down to near nothing.
Rob V
melville

Post by melville »

The foamies wouldn't stay in place after putting the helmet on.

I've been wearing the fitted ones for lawn mowing and the difference was not as dramatic. It still sounds like all the mowers and the string trimmer are ready to ventilate the crankcases at any time.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I hate lawn mowers, for the same reason Chuey hates monster trucks and most Harleys.
The noise.

Since I moved, I no longer have a need for lawn care equipment. I love it.
I used the same ear plugs for my mowing (and snowblowing) as I did (do, eventually) for riding.
My landlord's tractor is pretty quiet.
The next door neighbor (on my side) is of the school of thought, that if it is loud, it must be better. Of course, that follows to his lawn tractor, as well.
But the grass will quit growing soon.

I think Chuey lives in Southern California because there are probably no lawns to mow.
Rob V
buzz

Post by buzz »

I remember speaking to Trish at the local independent BMW shop many years ago about my concerns about the engine noises. She reached under the counter and gave (maybe sold) me a set of ear plugs. I recon she saved me hundreds of dollars that day. I now use custom moulded plugs ... makes the ride easier.
Gary
R100RS
R100GSPD
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I've finally found the right kind of foamy for me .... now I have a foamy addiction, I can't ride without them . It's not the engine noise it's the roar of the wind in my helmet, with that gone it's .... good.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
BobW

Post by BobW »

I once pulled into a rest area, removed my earplugs and only when I pushed the bike to another parking place without them did I hear the bad transmission bearing. I no longer wear them. Of course I lost a lot of high frequency hearing over the years. Impact printers may be to blame for some of it and birthdays for the rest.
Bob
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I won't ride without them! I use the disposable ones and they work fine. I've tried custom molded, but they never work for me. The bikes do run better with them in!
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

The disposable ones work fine for me too. I wear them if I will be going faster than about 40 MPH for any length of time. Tones down the wind blast considerably. I also wear hearing protection while mowing the lawn, and using my shop vac which is louder than a jet engine.

I've heard that in some places it's illegal to wear earplugs while operating a motor vehicle.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I'm happy with the disposable Hearos.

MS - out