Bad Plug

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
painter.724

Bad Plug

Post by painter.724 »

How often does this happen ! Put a new set of bosch plugs in my 60/6 and decided to take a putt. Went to my local county park and drove around for about 45 min. when all of a sudden the bike starts to miss and run bad. I truly thought I had an electrical problem. Made it home by the skin of my teeth. The hills were murder. On the way home I did determine that the bike was only running on one cylinder. Once in the driveway I pulled my spark plug wires and found the side not working. Ran inside and grabbed one of the old nkg,s that I pulled ,reinstalled it , started the bike and bingo. All was fine. I even switched the bad plug to the other side just to double check. I have never had a spark plug go bad, even when their life was way over due, Let alone have a brand new one do this
Deleted User 287

Re: Bad Plug

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Like ignition condensers, you should always carry one or two of the "known" used items in your tool tray, along with the tools to replace them.
I learned about the condenser trick here, from Duane.
I have always carried a set of plugs with me. They are small.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Everyone knows that new plugs are never bad . . . except for the people who have had it happen.

It's never happened to me, but I've heard of it happening to people here at least 4 - 5 times. So, it certainly happens.
MS - out
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

A new plug can fail, but from your description, I am not sure that that is what happened. If you put the bad plug on the left side, then you can ride with your left hand holding the plug wire 1/4" away from the plug and often it will fire up OK.

That trick will show that the ignition is OK and the plug just needs more voltage to fire.

Also, riding around in a park sort of tells me that you were at low rpm. Could a plug foul up?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
painter.724

Post by painter.724 »

Right Duanne, I was riding at low rpm. I did however hold the plug wire off of the plug end and listened for the crackle of the spark arc. It was quite loud which led me to the plug. The plug itself was wet. I did not try to clean, but will today and try it again. Jutoneoftheguys, it is funny you said that. I do carry 1 extra plug with me. Being so close to home I had the mind set of just make it home, just make it home. Not having a pickup, I was more worried about how I would get the bike home than being rational,taking a minute to think, and trying a roadside fix. Always a lesson to be learned! I know this is not the forum, but I just want to say hello to Rob V. and sunbeam Thanks! Dave
Jean

Post by Jean »

I bought a couple of new plugs (NGK) some years ago...One failed immediately. Put the old ones back in and all was OK.
Always good to have a set of known working spares along, even if someone ELSE needs them!
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

painter.724 wrote:I know this is not the forum, but I just want to say hello to Rob V. and sunbeam Thanks! Dave
Hi Dave! It took me a second to make the connection! Glad you made it!

Everyone, meet Dave's airhead!

[click on pic for larger]

Dave bought a spare set of leg shields from me and made the brackets himself.
Did some nice painting on them, too.
Dave, due to your "handle", I assume you did all of this fine paint work yourself?
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

painter.724 wrote:... Being so close to home I had the mind set of just make it home, just make it home. Not having a pickup, I was more worried about how I would get the bike home than being rational,taking a minute to think, and trying a roadside fix...
I dunno. It sounds pretty rational to me to try to get home while the bike is able to go under its own power. If you stopped to fix the problem on the roadside there was no guarantee you could get it going again.

I've ridden home a couple times on one cylinder for that very reason--which helps explain why I find what you did so rational. ;)

Ken

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I am not convinced that your problem was limited to the plug. A bad plug doesn't make itself wet.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
painter.724

Post by painter.724 »

Hi Duanne , Being one that believes that all is not always the way it may appear , I am very open to any suggestion for things to look for or check.I am a decent back yard mechanic, but not very versed on the mechanics of my airhead. The electronics are definitely my weakest point. If you can point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated. Just got back from the auto parts store with some new nkg,s. Will put them in and try to duplicate last nights run. Hi Ken, I guess rational is which way you want to look when your on the fence. Had I not made it home and caused damage to the machine it would have been a dumb move.Had I stopped and not been able to restart or fix I would have been stuck. Looking back, i guess I am glad of the option I chose. Hey Rob the paint I have to admit, is a collaboration between BMW , myself, and a friend. The fairing needed some TLC so I placed it in the hands of a competent body man and let him paint it. I can take credit for the tanks and leg shields along with all the striping