Using Oil

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Manfred

Using Oil

Post by Manfred »

My '87 R80RT has 85k miles on it, pollution control pipes are plugged, has good compression (148 PSI on the right, 150 on the left). The bike starts easy, runs great - and uses about a quart of oil per 1,000 or 1,200 miles. Mostly parked on center stand.

No drips, no spots on my garage or the parking garage at work. No billows of smoke when I start up in the morning and no evidence of smoke as I ride.

Any ideas as to what I should check?
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
Zombie Master

Re: Using Oil

Post by Zombie Master »

Maybe it's just gonna use some oil at this point in its life. I'd check the crankcase breathing.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

How did you test it for "no evidence of smoke as I ride" Few know how to do that test.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

What grade and type of oil are you using.

I almost asked how often you changed it but you already told us that. :)
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
PAS

Post by PAS »

I believe you have to ride it at night with someone following you to look for the blue smoke in the headlights.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Crest a hill at speed and close the throttle and coast a bit...if it smokes then it could be valve guides.

Do a leak down test.

Kurt in S.A.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Duane - my wife taught me how to see behind me; it's secret for school teachers and mothers :-)

I use Castrol 20W50 oil. Normally change at 5,000 miles.

I've pondered doing a leak-down test before. Bought a gauge - just never got around to doing it.

Need to finish the master-bath remodel before I get deeply involved in my bike, or else will lose the ability to sleep well.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I rec'd an email from a member here telling me the compression on my bike is too high, indicating carbon buildup on the pistons - which can wear out rings faster, etc. This makes some sense to me.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Good observation...I would think about 135 is nominal. The extra pressure might just mean the rings are being pressed harder to the cylinder wall, wearing them out, leading to additional blowby. Additional blowby can then result in higher crankcase pressures, eventually leading to seal failures.

Kurt in S.A.
richard t

Post by richard t »

Manfred wrote:I rec'd an email from a member here telling me the compression on my bike is too high, indicating carbon buildup on the pistons - which can wear out rings faster, etc. This makes some sense to me.
you might check you gauge against another one to be sure it's not reading high