1975 R75/6 odometter

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
esman100

Re: 1975 R75/6 odometter

Post by esman100 »

Frank, I have found the grey drive gear to usually be the culprit. I have repaired 4 or 5 with great success over the years by reaming the grey gear hole to a slip fit, +.0005" to .001" to make room for Loctite bearing mount. I then put a 1/4" ball bearing on the outside hole of the gear and slightly peen the edge over to create about a .001-.002 press on this end only. This allows it to stay put, but still have room for the Loctite with a lead in. I slide the gear onto the shaft assembly and place two 1/8" square tool bits between the gear and the steel framework and tap the shaft carefully into location. I don't use the Loctite accelerator because I want time to find the proper position. After locating I the swab the shaft end that rotates in the steel framework to remove any excess Loctite. This has worked well every time for me and has been permanent. ;)
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

My first reaction to removing the gray gear is something close to panic. Then you say open the hole maybe .001 inches larger. I,m probably could buy a bit of the proper size I do have a vernier caliper. The gear as i said is tight I can not move it with my figures . I had a few years ago tried to repair the loose gear . I,m thinking I may have not had it in the right position. ( to far toward the end of the shaft.So I,ll have to remove whatever I had used , I think I used jb weld. I have a speedo I bought on ebay that I,m going to try the eletrolisis thing on this Saturday. after cleaning it I should be able to see what that number deal looks like. Thanks again this is a great site with some very helpful people Frank in Florida
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

Just finished glueing the drive gear to the shaft . I allso cleaned the junk speedo i had just to try the process . Cool stuff. i used baking soda seemed to work quite well. I used my little charger set to 10 amps, a piece of angle iron and some steel fence wire . I thought I might use the number wheel off of the cleaned unit .So I,m looking at it closely then the light come an I see that the gear is in a slightly different position than mine. Then the posts here made more sense. I had thought that the gear was spinning on the shaft, That doesn,t seem to be the case . What appears to happen is the gear moves away from the number wheels allowing the numbers to spin at random. Of course you,all knew that ,and then there,s me ..I think it,ll be good now . Going to let the glue cure for a few days then assemble the unit for the test. I,m going to try to set the needle back so that it hopefully will be more truthful Will repost in a week or so Thanks All Frank in florida
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Sounds hopeful. Let us know if it's a major success.
MS - out
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

I jus t got back from the test run with my repaired speedo, I had set the needle back sense it was showing ten to fifteen miles per to fast . It now is correct at highway speeds 55 up. It is 5mph slow until then , I,m going to leave it alone. Allso cleaned up a mechincal tach to replace the one that the plastic gears where stripped and toe up needle and the little spring . The tach seems good allso. Frank in florida