Hole in shaft boot

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
PAS

Re: Hole in shaft boot

Post by PAS »

+1 on the Shoe Goo!!! If you can find it. Dam good stuff.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

This is the kind of problem that distinguishes real airheads from mere parts-replacers, like myself . . . :)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

SteveD wrote:...is there a modern goop that might do the job sealing these for a while?[/color]
Well done, ZM, well done. :lol:
MS - out
Justdan

Post by Justdan »

I had four small holes in the rubber boot. By the time, I had ridden about 10km the boot would be covered in oil and would be enough to drip on the ground. A couple of dabs of super glue. I have done a couple 200km rides at decent speed and and not a drop of oil leaking anywhere.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Justdan wrote:I had four small holes in the rubber boot. By the time, I had ridden about 10km the boot would be covered in oil and would be enough to drip on the ground. A couple of dabs of super glue. I have done a couple 200km rides at decent speed and and not a drop of oil leaking anywhere.
Same. So far so good, but the tests have been short distances only. It'll get a good going over on the Anglers Rest Boxerworkers campout!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Justdan

Post by Justdan »

I was sitting on 4500 - 5000 rpm for most of the day today. The boot did not leak. I have a bit to much Hondamoly 60 on the rear wheel splines and it has oozed out over the back wheel and lost a front brake bolt :o Guess the Loctite is going make an appearance
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Justdan wrote:I was sitting on 4500 - 5000 rpm for most of the day today. The boot did not leak. I have a bit to much Hondamoly 60 on the rear wheel splines and it has oozed out over the back wheel and lost a front brake bolt :o Guess the Loctite is going make an appearance
I am confused, what is the connection between the grease on the rear wheel and losing a front brake bolt?

Using too much grease on the rear wheel splines can do more than make a mess on the rim and tire. It can block the drain hole on the FD.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Justdan

Post by Justdan »

I have only just got my bike back on the road after a complete frame up rebuild. The rides i have ridden were to see if there are any leaks and make sure every thing is right before a lot longer ride this week end.