Bad dogs!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: Bad dogs!

Post by ME 109 »

Chuey wrote:He may be a bit cowardly (on behalf of his countryman) but at least he's got a picture of the cure for cowardice on his posts.

Chuey

Beer Chuey?

I wouldn't weld up my tranny. :P
Last edited by ME 109 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of the Bings
bigfella

Post by bigfella »

Do these guys have what you need George?

http://shop.siebenrock.com/index1.php?s ... sprache=en

or

www.boxer-gummikuh.de

cheers
Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. J. Sparrow.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

It has been done, but it takes somebody who really knows what they are doing. The reason that the dogs break off is that the dogs weren't indexed well when new. Most/all of the energy goes through two dogs and the rest don't touch. Then comes the heat treating. Oh, yes, the shifter plate with the holes for the dogs also must be indexed and heat treated too.

Just go find a good used box. Unless you want a project.

Is anybody remembering how many times I have suggested to have a good spare box sitting on the shelf? Unless you don't mind some down time.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Duane Ausherman wrote:It has been done, but it takes somebody who really knows what they are doing. The reason that the dogs break off is that the dogs weren't indexed well when new. Most/all of the energy goes through two dogs and the rest don't touch. Then comes the heat treating. Oh, yes, the shifter plate with the holes for the dogs also must be indexed and heat treated too.

Just go find a good used box. Unless you want a project.

Is anybody remembering how many times I have suggested to have a good spare box sitting on the shelf? Unless you don't mind some down time.
A good used box is OZ$800+ here! If you can find one and then how do you know it's good?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Yes, beer, Jeff.

I don't know how long it's been since a jauntily posed kangaroo gave me courage. :)

Chuey
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

"A good used box is OZ$800+ here! If you can find one and then how do you know it's good?"

That is why a boxer rider must always be on the lookout for the spares that will be needed.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Duane Ausherman wrote:. . . Is anybody remembering how many times I have suggested to have a good spare box sitting on the shelf? Unless you don't mind some down time.
Yes, funny you should ask. You've done it 29 and 1/2 times, counting this one.

* That 1/2 time? You seemed to be headed that way, but apparently lost your train of thought.

Ken
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Duane Ausherman wrote:. . . Is anybody remembering how many times I have suggested to have a good spare box sitting on the shelf? Unless you don't mind some down time.
Yes, funny you should ask. You've done it 29 and 1/2 times, counting this one.

* That 1/2 time? You seemed to be headed that way, but apparently lost your train of thought.

Ken
Ken, to (probably) misquote Joseph Heller, you can't have enjoyed them, or you wouldn't have counted.

George has asked me to thank you all for the advice offered.

He's searching for a good used gearbox, and will continue to put the word out into the universe for a presentable intermediate cluster, so he can turn his existing broken box into a spare box to put on the shelf.

ps: Of course, if nobody took Duane's advice there would be a lot less gearboxes sitting on shelves and it would be much easier to find a good used gearbox in the marketplace.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Airbear wrote: . . . Ken, to (probably) misquote Joseph Heller, you can't have enjoyed them, or you wouldn't have counted.

George has asked me to thank you all for the advice offered. . . .

Ah yes, Joseph Heller! I was in high school. I saw a blue paperback book in a rack in a grocery store. Catch 22. I bought it thinking it was a war yarn . . . . . . . .

Some books a person will never forget. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is another one. Catch 22 caught me totally off guard and it took me a while to get the drift. Among other things Catch 22 was a about a sane man in an insane world; a world that insists that he is the one who is insane.

I see a resemblance of Catch 22 to Alice in Wonderland. If there would be a hell I think it would feel much like the worlds described in those two books.

And Alice in Wonderland is considered by most to be a children's story.

Not too much later insanity became much more tangible in the Vietnamese war. I think Joseph Heller helped me to maintain a semblance of sanity during those insane times.

Not that things are saner now.

And tell George thank you from me. I feel a bit like an imposter, but he makes me feel good while doing so.

Ken
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ken, I recently finished re-reading Catch 22 while on a motorbike trip, and it is still entertaining for the absurdity Heller is so good at. Now I'm re-reading another of his, 'Something Happened', published in '66. Another great read about the even greater absurdity of ordinary life in post-war USA, or any western society I guess. The sexism depicted is cringe-making, but people of our age should recall how it was. Perhaps we can even feel positive about the future for women in those societies still dominated by very nasty men. 50 years can make a difference. It's just a pity it takes 50 years.

And yes, must re-read Alice again. It's been some decades.
The nice thing about re-reading books at my age is that they are all fresh and new again.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)