NASTY SURPRISE

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
mitch

NASTY SURPRISE

Post by mitch »

The sump on my 95 R100 loked a bit damp so I thought I would change the gasket,on dropping the sump I found a small pin about 1/2" long by 1/16', on reaching for my Haynes I saw it was the locating pin for the front bearing.I have,nt had the sump off for about 4 years and never had the front bearing housing off so it could of been there a while.After making a puller up using a steering-wheel puller I removed the housing, replaced the pin and peened it over properly,apparently if the bearing turns it can cut off the oil-supply to the rockers which can spoil your day.Has it happend to anyone else? Mitch.
lrz

Re: NASTY SURPRISE

Post by lrz »

Whoa! haven't been there, don't wanna go; glad you caught it "in time"!
barndeadr80

Post by barndeadr80 »

This is metioned in snowbum's tech page under oiling systems. It would seem you are not alone.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

It happened to GSPD.
Lord of the Bings
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

ME 109 wrote:It happened to GSPD.
I was going to say I thought I had read it here, before.
R90Steve

Post by R90Steve »

I bet you are happy you decided to change that gasket. I just found a timing chain side plate in a oil pick up screen on a bike last week.
A way to take the worry out of the airhead bearing pin is to use a bolt instead of the pin. The pin hoke is 3mm I think and only requires a small amount of reaming/drilling and it can be threaded for a 4mm bolt. I turn the threads off the end of the bolt so it has a 3mm tip to engage the bearing. The only other thing is to make a flat spot for the bolt head with a end mill or file.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Which pin is it?
#2 or #5 ?
I'm thinking #5.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Hunsta

Post by Hunsta »

dougie wrote:Which pin is it?
#2 or #5 ?
I'm thinking #5.
Being mechanicly backward, is this pin accessable when you take the sump plate off? Or is it in another postion. I have a small weep in my sump on the R65. I have the gasket, but dont want that sort of drama. :shock:
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE THAT HASNT MET ME.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Hunsta wrote: Being mechanicly backward, is this pin accessable when you take the sump plate off? Or is it in another postion. I have a small weep in my sump on the R65. I have the gasket, but dont want that sort of drama. :shock:
There was a change in the block in the late 80s and only the late bikes are affeted. Not sure of my years.
Garnet

bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Garnet wrote: There was a change in the block in the late 80s and only the late bikes are affeted.
Yahooo - there is actually something gooder about the 70s bikes!
1975 R90/6
1979 R65